Houston Social Security
Disability Attorney

Photo of David Dopkin
Photo of David Dopkin

Compassionate Allowances Program expedites SSDI claims for TX residents

On behalf of David Dopkin

The Compassionate Allowances Program is designed to expedite the applications process for those who have approved medical conditions.

Although most Texas workers don’t plan on becoming disabled during their lifetime, a significant number of people will. In fact, over 25 percent of 20-year-olds will develop a disability before they reach the age of 67, according to the Social Security Administration. Some disabled workers may be eligible to receive Social Security Disability benefits if they have been diagnosed with a medical condition that has been approved by the SSA and meet all the other requirements. While some applications can take a considerable period of time to process through the SSA, the Compassionate Allowances Program expedites the SSDI application process for those who need funds the most.

A closer look at the Compassionate Allowances Program

The Compassionate Allowances Program was established in 2008, as a way to power through a growing back log of SSDI applications, according to the Chicago Tribune. Prior to the program, many people afflicted with chronic, life-threatening conditions would die before they were able to receive the benefits they needed. Now, with the use of advanced technology, people with approved conditions are able to receive a response from the SSA in as little as 15 days. In order to achieve this accelerated decision-making process, the Social Security Administration works closely with medical experts, government officials, members of the public and advocacy groups to streamline the process.

The program has comprised a list of 225 severe medical conditions and disabilities that obviously meet the standards set by the SSA. Chicago Tribune reports that nearly 95 percent of applications processed through the program are approved, and the remaining 5 percent are moved through an expedited appeals process.

New conditions

Earlier this year, the SSA introduced 25 new conditions to the Compassionate Allowances list, including disorders affecting the neurological, immune and digestive systems. Prostate cancer, which is one of the most common types of cancer affecting men in the U.S. according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was also added to the list, bringing new hope to those diagnosed with this debilitating disease.

The SSA is continually working in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health and medical experts to find new conditions to add to the list. Compassionate Allowances public outreach hearings have also been conducted in order to gain insight into the development of these diseases.

Finding the assistance you need

When it is time to begin the Social Security Disability applications process, it may be helpful to partner with an established attorney who is familiar with the rules and regulations involved in the process. A lawyer can ensure that you fill out your application properly and walk you through the process, helping you to get your benefits as soon as possible.

Keywords: Social Security, disability, insurance